Aviation Thermobaric Bomb of Increased Power (ATBIP) (Russian: Авиационная вакуумная бомба повышенной мощности (АВБПМ)), nicknamed "Father of All Bombs" (FOAB) (Отец всех бомб), is a Russian-made air-delivered/land-activated thermobaric weapon. In describing the bomb's destructive power, Russian deputy chief of the general staff Alexander Rukshin was quoted as saying, "all that is alive merely evaporates." The bomb is reportedly four times more powerful than the US military's GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb (whose official military acronym "MOAB" is often colloquially said as the "Mother of All Bombs"). This makes it the most powerful conventional (non-nuclear) weapon in the world. The veracity of Russia's claims concerning the weapon's size and power have been questioned by US defense analysts.
The bomb was successfully field-tested in the late evening of September 11, 2007. According to the Russian military, the new weapon will replace several smaller types of nuclear bombs in its arsenal.
- Adrian Blomfield (2007-09-13). "Russian army 'tests the father of all bombs'". London: Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2008-01-05.
- Luke Harding (2007-09-12). "Russia unveils the 'father of all bombs'". London: Guardian Unlimited. Retrieved 2007-09-12.
- "Did Russia Stage the Father of All Bombs Hoax?". Wired.com. October 4, 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-04.
- Илья Kрамник (2007-09-12). "Кузькин отец" (in Russian). Lenta.Ru. Retrieved 2007-09-12.
- Russia tests `world's most powerful bomb Russia Today Retrieved on March 18, 1987
Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_of_All_Bombs [11.09.2013]